Wow! Each week gets more interesting and FUN at Vamonos NOLA! Despite the weather forcing us to close water play for a few days we still had a great time! The Nubes were able to experiment with blocks of ice and bubbles while our older groups Soles y Estrellas had fun with water shooters and water balloons in the park.
Team Building games were also a hit as we took refuge from the heat this week. Our Nubes practiced saltando, jumping, corriendo, running and tomando turnos, taking turns as they balanced on beams and hopped through “river rocks”. What fun! Older campers made their own ring toss game and also had a chance to practice tomando turnos and being a good companero or teammate.
Sr. Soren did a wonderful job of bringing the love of his mother country Colombia to life at Vamonos NOLA this week. The lesson on Pisos Termicos Thermal Floors was incredibly interesting as campers learned that while in Colombia the clima or climate is mostly tropical year –round, the elevation of Andes mountains creates clima caliente(hot), clima templada (mild),y clima frio (cold), which produces different vegetation. Check out how campers classified different vegetales that grow at the different elevations! So cool!
The Coffee Bean craft that followed proved to be a very zen experience for the kids. We had to extend their time because they were so into it and the results were beautiful! We have super active days and it is neat to see kids chill in the middle of a very full day with buddy reading during some down time.
Campers talked about Braceletes de Amistad or friendship bracelets and created their own while talking about como ser buen amigo – how to be a good friend.
Srta. Olivia did an amazing job teaching campers about la jungla and created rain forest dioramas boxes in after care! Campers went on a nature walk to collect materials to supplement what she brought in to create some spectacular scenes of arboles – trees, rios – rivers, y animales! It was such a hit we will plan for another opportunity during the camp day when we visit Bolivia!
In Super Heroes we talked about how the papas in our lives, who could be a tio (uncle), abuelo (grandfather), padre (father)or amigo (friend) are super heroes in our own lives and made special cards for the Papas in our lives! Feliz Dia del Padre! Happy Father’s Day to all of those amazing roles models for kids!
· Water play will resume on Monday weather permitting, so go ahead and send campers in their suits again. Worse case they stay in their dry suits during the day.
· Many T-shirts didn’t make it home on Friday, but do not despair, I just added it to the laundry cue at my house so everyone will have clean t-shirts on Monday. If they did make it home, PLEASE send it back on Monday!
· LABEL: Please be sure to label extra clothes and especially TOWELS on the white tag is easiest for us. The numbered hooks are helping, but there is still a mix up from time to time. Also, please put your child’s name on the OUTSIDE and TOP of lunchboxes. THANK YOU!
· This week we welcome the return of Srta. Tresa to our staff! Another fabulous teacher from ISL who has also shared her talents with us during previous camps. Having this beautiful variety of teachers affords us the flexibility to allow our talented staff to rejuvenate during their summer vacations.
· Thank you to Lucia, Valeria’s mom for baking an AMAZING Tres Leches cake for the teachers! It was ESPECTACULAR! Everyone felt truly acknowledged by your kind words!
· Thank you to Kevin, Marissa’s dad who gave us a BEAUTIFUL Folgers Coffee Gift Basket!
· Thank you Alyson, Aidan’s mom who recently shared a WONDERFUL app that has both my boys excited about cepillando los dientes brushing their teeth! It’s free and called Sonic Care Kids. The $40 toothbrush is optional and works all the same with any toothbrush you use! Check it out!
· THANK YOU for the donations of toilet paper rolls and grocery bags from several families! Keep ‘em coming! (Can we add empty plastic water bottles to the donation request please J )